All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.
2 Corinthians 4:15
As Catholics, it is important to remember God’s presence in our lives and to thank God for all the gifts which he has bestowed upon us. These gifts may not be substantial; they can be as simple and regular as every breath we take. However, every breath–and everything we do or have–is an opportunity to recognize God’s presence and grace within our lives. Everything within us and around us can be a reminder that God wants us to receive His graces, share them with others and remember Him through them.
Utilize the following simple activity to extend gratitude to God for all with which God has graced us:
What You’ll Need
- A mason jar (or jar of any sort)
- White masking tape
- Markers, pens, pencils
- Post-It Notes
Time to complete: 5 Minutes
- Take a mason jar, a marker and white masking tape. Rip a piece of masking tape and write “Gratitude in a Jar” on it. Apply the masking tape to the jar.
- Gather yourself in God’s presence. Take a moment to say hello to Him.
- Spend two minutes looking back on the day as a whole. Try to identify 3 things for which you are grateful. Bring those to God and say them aloud.
- Grab your post-it note and take a marker, pen, or pencil to write down on the post-it notes the 3 things for which you are grateful. As you place each post-it not in the jar repeat the following words: “Lord, I thank you for this.”
- Fold them up and place them inside of the jar.
- At the end of each week, empty the jar and read all of the things for which you are grateful. You will have at least 21 things written down.
This will get easier over time. It’s okay if it takes longer than 5 minutes the first time you do it. It is also okay if you are thankful for the same thing twice.